Where to place a birdfeeder
The most important factors to consider when choosing the best location for your feeder are those that will affect how the birds will see and use it. If they don’t feel safe in that area, or don’t find it convenient, they won’t use it! Keep these considerations in mind:
- Natural feeding – put your feeder in an area that will mirror the birds’ natural preferences. In other words, find there they would normally feed and place your feeder in that location.
- Activity – feeders that are placed in quiet, less disturbed areas of your yard will be more popular than those by structures, garages, patios or backyard playgrounds.
- Safety – Hang your new birdfeeder 10-12 feet from a shelter area such as trees, brush piles or shrubs in order to give them a fast place to hide. Make sure they are far enough off the ground to be safe from cats!
- Windows – as window collisions are almost always fatal to birds, keep feeders EITHER very close to a window (less than 3 feet away) OR far away (10 feet or greater).
- Visibility – birds want to be able to see the feeder before they land on it. Placing it in an open area makes it visible to passing birds, and also gives the birds a good field of view for predators and other threats.
- Squirrels – they can damage your birdfeeders, so try and keep the feeder far enough away from trees or fences etc. so they can’t leap onto the feeders.
- Colour – adding colour around your feeding locations will attract birds. Flowers, flower pots or decorative items will help bring birds in to feed/rest.
How do I care for my feeder?
Dirty birdfeeders can be a nesting ground for bacteria, mold and other disease agents that can destroy backyard bird populations. Please make sure to keep your feeder clean to ensure you have the healthiest birds in your neighbourhood!
- Clean regularly – all feeders should be cleaned top-to-bottom at least once a month.
- Use proper cleaning solutions – commercial feeder cleaning solutions are an effective way to keep your feeders clean, but you can also use a very mild solution of 1part bleach-9parts hot water.
- Rinse thoroughly and dry